1 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 jar (24 oz.) Prego® Italian Sauce. I like using Prego® Italian Sauce, because it adds a great base flavor for this dish. It has a perfect balance of sweet and savory Italian flavors and it’s simple and easy for a weeknight.
1 tbs of dry thyme
1 tbs of dry oregano
2 tbs of chopped up basil
2 cups of shredded parmesan cheese, divided
15 oz container of ricotta cheese
1 egg, beaten
1 package of lasagna, noodles cooked (see package for instructions)
salt and pepper to taste
4 tbs of olive oil
- preheat oven to 350°F
- brown the beef in a large skillet coated with 2 tbs of olive oil on medium-high heat
- meanwhile, mix ricotta, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and egg until blended
- add the onions to the skillet and cook until the onion is a bit translucent
- add pasta sauce and simmer for another five minutes and add they dried thyme, salt and pepper to taste
- take sauce off the stove and add fresh basil
- assemble: spread 1 cup meat sauce onto bottom of 13×9-inch baking dish; top with layers of lasagna noodles, 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture and 1 cup meat sauce. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining noodles, meat sauce and cheese
- cover with foil sprayed with cooking spray
- bake for one hour or until heated through, removing foil after 45 min
- let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving
Along with Prego® Italian Sauce, I also pick up V8 Splash® because it’s packed with a good source of essential antioxidants, great taste and nutrients. A trick I learned from my mom is to keep a can of Campbell’s® Condensed Tomato Soup to enhance the flavors of your dishes and I always have some in my pantry.
Want to try this recipe? Hover over the pictures and you can get them right off this post!
If you’re like me, and want more weeknight meal inspirations you can click here to visit theCampbell’s Shortcut Meals website and get more back to school meal inspiration.